Your visual communication strategy requires a robust platform to manage multiple endpoints and push various content formats across your screen network. Before you choose your CMS, take a look at our 5 keys to choosing the right visual communication platform:
1. Look for Customizability – Your content strategy is multi-dimensional and the content you produce spans a number of mediums and social platforms, all with their unique best practices. When you add digital screens as yet another medium to reach your audience it can become a burden to develop another stream of custom content.
Look for a platform that can repurpose your existing content – like social feeds, streaming events, videos and static marketing pieces. The platform should do the work for you rather than requiring you to re-create content to fit within the confines of your digital screen. The platform should be able to ingest multiple data sources so that your organization can keep a consistent voice and branding across all digital mediums.
2. Pick Advanced Playlist Rules – To get the most out of your visual communication screen networks, you must use advanced playlist rules. These rules give you the ability to put a group of content assets into a larger playlist and have the platform choose which content should be played in which location.
As screens continue to enter more diverse locations, it’s important to tailor the message and content mix. Areas with a short dwell time should display different messaging than longer dwell time locations. Rather than building new playlists for each location, it’s now possible to build a master playlist and utilize playlist rules to decide which content to play based on your pre-set parameters.
3. Built for Multiple Screen Types – You cannot assume that all your digital screens will be the same format, manufacturer, or even technology. Avoid the chances of managing multiple CMS platforms by choosing one software that can manage every display you have.
As video walls, LED, LCD and various orientations of displays become more popular, it’s imperative that the platform you choose can handle the management of all of these diverse screen types in the same user interface. A common problem is choosing a visual communication platform to manage content on only one type of screen. When more screens are added that are not the same underlying technology, it can create headaches for the content management team.
4. Choose the Cloud – The cloud is really the only solution for modern visual communication networks. This allows remote access and management, while also providing the ability to ingest multiple content sources without any playback issues.
Cloud platforms provide more flexibility as your communication network grows, while also giving you access to the latest features, performance enhancements and dynamic signage widgets.
5. Intuitive – There is much to be said for a visual communication platform that is easy to use. If the platform is not intuitive enough to be used in a meaningful way by individuals, it doesn’t matter how vast the functionality is.
It’s easy to get caught up in the feature set of a platform, but at the end of the day it must be highly intuitive in order to take advantage of all those advanced features. Before deciding to move forward with a digital signage CMS, it’s critical that you demo and test the platform in a real-world environment. This is the only way to truly know if the solution can work for your team.